WHAT???

November 18, 2008

Can anyone explain this to me? I'm going to set my DVR - this is tooo weird not to explore. I mean it's really a chick - right? I'm thinking a lesbian who wanted to be a man but then wanted to have a baby too.

***edited due to Morgan's comment.

Sexuality issues aside I think the title of the program is misleading. I mean a man CANNOT have a baby because he does not have a uterus. My thought is they attract more attention this way than with the reality of what is occuring. I may post more thoughts after I watch the show because at this point I honestly don't understand, other than the obvious "how'd they do that" part.

5 comments:

Danyele Easterhaus said...

i don't even know how to wrap my brain around that...and, well, i just have to stop thinking about it.

so i came over from divine caroline after reading your comment. i am an adoptive momma too...and just wanted to drop in and say hello and connect with a new friend. so hello!

Liz said...

oh.
i.
know.

mean judgmental liz sez: PICK ONE, ALREADY! you is or you ain't, no fair playing both sides

Morgan said...

Thomas is legally a man. He was born a biological female. Only in relatively recent culture has gender become an either or thing. It's almost specifically an American ideal, too. I will try to dig out my text from last semester about it, but most cultures have 4-8 names for genders, not 2.

I think that Thomas should be commended for allowing the general American public a look at his life. Living with death threats, etc. is disgusting. They have done a lot of public interviews, most for no financial remuneration. Their goal is not to upset but to educate. As time goes forth, this will become a more common reality and he is saving those persons a lot of heartache.

I won't go off about sexuality and civil rights. It's a topic very near and dear to my heart.

The more we talk about things, the easier they are to understand and most importantly, accept.

Kalyn said...

well... looks like people already explained it to you... I like the " you have been out of the country WAY to long" hahahaha..... Yeah- woman turned man.... I'll be curious to see the show- and see his family open them selves up to all of us judgers and non judgers :) I think it's pretty courageous! :)

Anonymous said...

My comments were not about your post, per se. It is a pretty visceral reaction for me when these topics are brought up. I get really verklempt with disparaging comments about how he has chosen to live his life. His story is one of courage, I think. His life is filled with love and the creation of child in a house of love is an awesome thing.

Anyway, Michelle, I'm sorry. You know me, I get all worked up too easily. So, sorry if my comment was inciting at all, it wasn't meant to be.