Hurrah! and Boo hoo :o(

May 2, 2008

We had 2 really great families come by to see the dogs on Saturday morning and both want to take them home! It is such a relief. The first family obviously loved dogs and had a few previously because they were undaunted by Claddagh's inability to keep her feet ON THE FLOOR! She gets soooo excited that she can't help herself. Her little paws keep bouncing off the floor and then General doesn't want to be left out so he tries to shove her aside and jump up a little higher to get the advantage etc... Most of you know, my dogs LOVE people and new people who give attention are tackled! Both are fine one on one but together the need to receive love is so strong they compete and it turns into doggie chaos for the first five minutes or so. Then they resume their normal lounge positions... unless of course someone is offering to rub a belly! Anyway, the first family was not fazed by the craziness. The Dad was in shape and loves to play ball with the dogs, take them for walks and/or runs (Generals idea of a good time is to jog with Mike), they have a large fenced in yard and were just, in general, really nice people. But they have a 3 1/2 year old and a newborn. Yes a newborn as in all of 3 days now! But Mom and Dad insist they have time.

The second family also were not fazed by the craziness. Matter of fact the woman and her daughter sat on the floor and ooh and ahhed over how cute and friendly they were. General immediately assumed the position (lying on his back and basking in the tummy rub) with the daughter while Claddagh ran circles around the mom rubbing against her and trying to lick her. This family is a single mom with 2 college kids. She has had many dogs, up to 3 at a time, and is looking for someone to give all her love to now that her kids are gone. She has a house that backs to trails with streams for the dogs to play in. She also boards a horse on a farm for the dogs to join her on the trails if they like. She is also one of those crazy dog people who pays big bucks for sick dogs with things like cancer to live as long as possible. In other words, a health ailment for the dogs would not equal the end of their life. Which is good because if they get sick before she's had them long enough to REALLY feel the love I know she'll still take care of them. Does that make sense. I think we are leaning towards her so the dogs will be number 1 on the priority list. They haven't had that since Max was born and I think their turn has come again. Her only downside is she is single and therefore at work all day. But if they get walks every night and lot's of tummy rubs and playtime on the weekends I think that makes up for the lack of daytime love.

What do you all think?

So I'm happy we have 2 good choices but I will be sooo sad to see them go :o( Ugh, and what to tell Max! He calls General his buddy. So sweet...

5 comments:

Liz said...

ohhh what a relief!

if i were a dog, i think i'd prefer to run trails and jump in streams and not have to worry about which squishy stuffed animals i'm not allowed to chew on. i'd also like to know that if i got really sick, my crazy dog lover owner would take care of me and give me yummy expensive food.

actually, i'm person and i'd like that kind of treatment. =)

i know you guys will make the right decision for your buddies!

Steph said...

Oh what GREAT news, Michelle!!!

I think I would go more with the single mom...but you will make the right decision for your furry friends!!!

When you guys are done with your tour, will you be getting your dogs back or will they be with the new people forever??

This whole situation breaks my heart for you - I can't even imagine having to do this with Tucker...makes me feel sick to my stomach thinking about it...but I'm so glad that you found two great families to pick from and that your heart feels good about them both!!!

Good luck with having to make the decision - I know you will pick what is best for your best buddies!!!

Brandi said...

I know your dogs love kids, but I would worry more about the time issue, like you said. 2 dogs is a lot to bring into a family with a newborn, no matter how sweet they are. Maybe keep their info and if for some reason it doesn't work with the other they can be a backup? Her lifestyle sounds great for them and you are right, they deserve it. Our two do not get the attention they used to and its sad.

McCoyFamily said...

I agree with everyone the single mom sounds like the ticket....

Morgan said...

I guess I am the only one partial to the family.

It's so hard to find good *kid* dogs that are fully grown. I can't imagine the family could readily raise a puppy and that's probably why they're interested in Clad & Gen.

Besides, being home all day spells trouble for dogs who are used to having company. Just ask Hershey. I would assume that Labradoodles are just as social as Labs.

I am sure you will make the right choice.

Totally unrelated diatribe/tangent to follow:


Hey, Michelle! I need the name & number of the lady who used to clean your house here. Can you pretty, pretty please email her info to me?

I've been told that in lieu of the Birthday, Valentine's Day, Anniversary, Mother's Day, etc. etc. treats that I should have gotten this year, I deserve to have my house cleaned by a very nice person for at least a year. My husband really is truly lovely. I am going to have to take more credits next semester and see if I can get a full-time chef, too! hahaha