August 6,2008
THAT'S GOOD:
1. Weather - seriously folks it is beautiful here. Occasionally it sprinkles but has only truely rained once. It is cool in the early morning and evening but afternoons are fantastic. It's light jackets when it's cool and t-shirts when it's warmer. A few clouds but majority of the time it's suuny.
2. Housing - I believe I aready covered this. The house is amazing and I can't wait to share photos.
3. Standard of living. We interviewed a maid/nanny tonight whose services will be picked up by Uncle Sam. We also have a club membership which includes a pool and horses. Haven't been yet so more on that later.
4. People - all very friendly and oh so patient with my horrible spanish!
5. Parks - for the kids there is a ton of parks and they are BEAUTIFUL! Again, photos forthcoming with internet!
WHAT'S BAD
1. Traffic. If you think DC or LA is bad you ain't seen nothin'. And the worst part is THEY WILLRUN YOU OVER! I am not kidding, I made it halfway cross the street when the light turned and they were gunnin' for me! Also lanes are optional, so are red lights. It's too crazy to explain I'll work on video for later.
2. Service- I thought the U.S. Was bad about waiting for the cable guy etc. It's much worse here. One of the guys has waited a month for his internet connection!
3. Groceries - the stores are like small markets that carry very little but cost a whole lot. Good thing my new friend KL told me about that incredible and cheap market the locals go to.
4. Bodyguards - this country has a large poor population and is at war with the narcotraffickers so there are places I cannot go without a bodyguard. Not too bad as the embassy will provide them but a bit unnerving.
Just a few ideas off the top of my head... More to come when I get my internet hooked up but please DON'T ANYONE HOLD THEIR BREATH!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2008
(116)
-
▼
August
(16)
- Post II for today
- Museo de los Ninos
- I think I'M gonna need a drink!
- The last photos of Cartagena - I promise!
- Our UAB is coming, our UAB is coming!!!!
- Cartagena Part II
- Photos of THE best trip ever...
- Chiva
- cartagena
- More photos and random stories
- Woo Hoo - WE HAVE INTERNET!!!!
- That's good that's bad in Bogota
- cross your fingers
- habla espanol?
- Max is FOUR today!!!!
- still no internet
-
▼
August
(16)
4 comments:
i know that must have been such a pain to post from your blackberry - but thanks!!! it is so great to live vicariously through your experiences...that is CRAZY about the bodyguards!!! omg!
My vote is that you take the bodyguards everywhere :) And I would also demand that they are cute. Can't wait to see pics of the apartment.
you are totally a celebrity with your live-in help and bodyguards. people will be joining the marine corps left and right! jk =)
enjoy this amazing adventure and thanks for the updates!
okay- I just got a balckberry, and I have NO idea how you are posting all that!! Thanks!!!!!! You go girl..... a body guard? I TOTALLY want a photo of that! (you with a bodyguard, not the actual bodyguard) hehehehehe..... I am soooo enjoying hearing all your adventures, and I wish you a speedy internet install!!
xoxox
Post a Comment